Esound segmentation faults and ALSA

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sun Feb 1 18:16:14 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 10:46, Jochen Schroeder wrote:
> Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> > Okay, after breaking out the big mallet I've come to the conclusion that
> > the only way to get my bttv card and my SBLive! card to not confuse the
> > kernel (since when the bttv card gets initted first, it seems to grab
> > some devices that would normally be provided by emu10k1) I've gotta use
> > ALSA.
> >
> > The problem I'm having is that ALSA-1.0.2 (as well as 1.0.1) breaks esd
> > rather completely.  When esound is compiled without ALSA support it
> > works fine, but let it link to -lasound and *b3wm* it segmentation
> > faults when starting.
> >
> > Has anyone gotten this working or have any ideas?  I saw a message in
> > the archives to the effect that alsa-oss needs to be compiled before
> > alsa-driver but that doesn't appear to work, either.
> >
> Probably wont be much help for you, but I compiled esd against alsa-0.96
> and upgraded to 1.01 recently and esd still works fine, as far as I can
> tell.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's a kernel retardation problem at the moment.
I've started trying to get the bttv card working again, and basically,
unless you load the emu10k1 driver, get something using it, and THEN
load the bttv modules, it appears to get confused about which devices go
with which sound card and tries writing to the bttv audio (which just
doesn't work).  I was hoping someone had already plumbed the mysterious
depths of sound device names and solved this bizarre issue.

--
The email address above is phony because the people making archives of list
traffic publicly available on the web aren't taking measures to protect the
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org