NVIDIA Driver 5336 VT switch blanks screen

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sun Feb 1 18:12:59 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 05:03, S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 00:53, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 07:48, Jochen Schroeder wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe use the vga framebuffer instead of the rivafb? The combination vga
> > > framebuffer + nvidia-5336 works wo porblems for me here.
> >
> > nVidia cards have been VESA-compliant for as long as I remember, and
> > it's the VESA framebuffer mode that needs to be compiled into the
> > kernel.  (Yes, the Riva framebuffer driver will break horribly when you
> > try to load nVidia's driver module)
>
> Is this with or without the VGA driver?
>
> I've tried with, I always thought it was required.
>
> I'll try later.

Turn on the two options in the Console Drivers menu (VGA text console
and Video mode selection support).  You'll want VGA text console as a
fallback in case you you have to stick a cheapie video card in the
machine as a replacement.  The VGA text console driver gets you the
actual cell-based "little letters" screens that lilo scans for when you
tell it "vga = ask", i.e., 132x60, 80x60, 80x50, etc.  Under the Frame
Buffer support sub-menu, select Support for frame buffer devices and
VESA VGA graphics console.  Those two things are really all you need or
want.
--
The email address above is phony because the people making archives of list
traffic publicly available on the web aren't taking measures to protect the
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org