startup script tuning: remove sleep?

Christian Tröster c.troester at gmx.de
Sun Feb 1 15:18:49 PST 2004

Am Freitag, 30. Januar 2004 06:19 schrieb P.R.:
> Calling the start/restart/stop scripts takes a while for each, due to
> the sleep command.
>
> I removed all "sleep" lines from the scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d
> And  --- surprise ;-) it is much faster now.
>
> So...any side-effects I will probably run into?
> Is the sleep command in these scripts for more than
> 'let the user react if something's wrong'
The sleep command is there to give the programs some time so shut everything
down, write cached data, kill all child processes etc.

I prefer to wait one second rather than loosing some data ;) Beside that sleep
should only be issued if the program is already running and you want to
restart it.

Bye, Christian

--
http://www.christian.myfen.de/