Where did UTF-8 go?

Andrew Benton andy at benton987.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Dec 31 10:11:50 PST 2004

Peter B. Steiger wrote:
> Let me ask you this, then: When you pull up a site with a non-Western
> character set (such as www.pravda.ru, Russia's equivalent of the Weekly
> World News here in the US) do the Cyrillic fonts appear, or do you get
> little rectangles with hex codes in them?
The cyrillic fonts appear fine to me. I can't read russian but the page looks good to me.
I compile (more or less) the current LFS unstable and BLFS development. I don't think I do
anything special to enable support for internationalisation, it just works (mostly). I do
see the "little rectangles with hex codes in them" sometimes, but not very often (usually
it's east asian languages)