Internationalisation question

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Dec 31 03:32:55 PST 2004

Declan Moriarty wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:01:21 +0500, Alexander E. Patrakov
> <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
>> 4) If you install KDE, be aware that the default keyboard layout
>> switching applet is far from ideal (e.g. hotkeys for switching the
>> layouts don't work). kkbswitch is better, but it, unlike the stock
>> applet, requires properly configured keyboard layouts in xorg.conf
>> (something that you probably can't afford).
>
> I don't follow this too well. Can't I  arrange as follows:
> Xorg.conf is set up as a symbolic link to  ~/Xorg.conf
> That way each user gets his own Xorg.conf in his own dir which allows
> individual butchering of keyboard  setups. Is this all done with a
> standard keyboard or are the different international keyboards
> (Chinese, Arabic, etc)required?

Chinese and Arabic will never be supported by LFS. Install RedHat Enterprise
Linux if you want some sort of support for such locales.

Probably it's easier for you to just use the stock KDE or GNOME keyboard
layout switching applet and forget what I said. These applets are not
ideal, but functional enough to be useful.

>> 6) Install either Amarok or (better) Beep-Media-Player. They are the only
>> MP3 players that can adapt for different encodings in ID3 tags.
>
> So they can even listen to their favourite brand of music? They'll be
> lucky

They will be able to listen even with other players. But other players will
display titles incorrectly if de-facto character encodings differ in
Windows and Linux.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov