Unexpected Allarm from System-Speaker

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Thu Dec 30 04:04:08 PST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:28:08 +0100 Denis <Hannibal-Smith at gmx.at> wrote:

> @Kevin:
>
> Yes, I am definitely sure it's my System-Speaker, since there is nothing
> else in my computer that could make a beeping noise (besides maybe the
> headphones atached to the soundcard;-) )

Disable the PC Speaker support in the Linux kernel config (Device
Drivers/Input device support/Misc/PC Speaker Support), recompile the
kernel and boot with it. If you still get the alarm, it's a hardware
function of your motherboard and not caused by software. If the alarm goes
away, it seems to be a software problem.
Check that

echo $'\a'

outputs a beep with a speaker-enabled kernel and does not output a beep
with the speaker-disabled kernel to make sure that the speaker support
enabling/disabling works properly.

> @MSB:
>
> It's definitely not an overheating allarm, since 1. my cpu runs at about
> 42 degrees (celsius) and I have all allarms turned off in the BIOS,

42 degrees is fine for the CPU but is very close to the max. allowed
temperature for the case's interior. Maybe you're hitting that max. The
overheating alarm can not always be turned off in the BIOS. You should try
to run the computer with case open and see if the alarm still goes off.

MSB

--
This sentence no verb.