Mutiny

TheOldFellow TheOldFellow at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 08:26:39 PST 2004

Declan Moriarty wrote:
> Can someone explain to me why I should not install precompiled
> binaries in this situation? I need help here :-D
>
> I want to install OO in my new(ish) system. To do that I should
> install J2sdk which requires alsa
> I am quite happy on OSS, thank you. So I am faced with alsa, and j2sdk
> and a great deal of farting about for the privilege of compiling OO,
> which is also a great deal of fuss. J2sdk is not strictly _needed_ but
> is _reccomended_, which is a stronger term than  optional.
>
> You can see why precompiled binaries are tempting?

Declan,
I always install: Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice and J2sdk (Blackdown
usually) as binaries.  It's my damn system!  That gets me going.  Later
I recompile everything when I have time to install all the 'recommended'
and some optional dependencies.
You need to prove to yourself that the binaries are not compromised by
checking the signatures or MD5s or something, otherwise you are just
giving up 'purity' (at your age!) and optimality.
R.