unexdpected mouse problems in console (mx1000 related?)

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 02:25:07 PST 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:58:32 +0100, Wouter Mense <woutermense at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> After I finished the 6.0 book I accidentally tried to do some things
> with my mouse. And even though it shouldn't be working at all, because
> gpm isn't yet installed, some letters were output to my console screen
> whenever i pushed a random button (left right whatsoever). So I
> thought, maybe it'll go away after installing gpm, but it didn't. I am
> truly in the dark here. I have been not using my lfs for a while, and
> have a new mx100 mouse now. Maybe that's the problem (i cant see how
> though...)
>
> Anyone who can help?

Throw uis a bone here. Your mouse is plugged in where, on /dev/?????
and /dev/mouse points to ?????. What is running when this happens? X
or console mode? Which GUI? Is this box a laptop? Which chipset?

Normally you can fiddle with a mouse and it gets safely ignored unless
something is watching.
If this uses a usb mouse and keyboard,  We raise one eyebrow and
adjust slightly. If it's a ttySx mouse, and nothing is running, we ask
fundemental hardware questions, after picking our jaws up from the
floor.

--
     All the Best

     Declan.