Unexpected Allarm from System-Speaker

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 02:17:08 PST 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:07:46 +0100, Denis <Hannibal-Smith at gmx.at> wrote:
> I have a problem that's really bugging me. When I am using my computer as
> usual some time (not reproductible) the System-Speaker starts to sound
> like an allarm.
> I have no clue what it is, since my System is allright and
> no allarm is set in the BIOS.
>
> When running Windows it doesn't happen, so that I suspect it comes from
> LFS. The Thing now is, that I couldn't find anything in the logs. The
> weird thing also is, that my System keeps on running normally - just with
> an annoying allarm-sound!
>
> If anyone has any ideas - please post them!!! I'm in a dead-end...
>
> Thanks in advance!

You got plenty of ideas. Here's another one.

In Dos, there is a software interrupt for the beep, IIRC. It is a
service handled by command.com, with it's own i/o address. This setup
relies on a mishandled A20 and the "fact" that '640K is enough memory
for anyone - ever' as announced by Bill Gates.

Therefore in linux, can you find a way of watching for events to that
i/o address or device?
That will at least giove you the source of it. My experience is that
cpus usually run cooler in linux (Unless you're compiling) and the
beep could be caused by  events in dodgy code. I got it from sound and
kde in the past. Annoying, but harmless.

--
     All the Best

     Declan.