groupadd: PAM authentication failed

Scott Hale scott at jasongurtz.com
Mon Dec 27 09:18:18 PST 2004

Vincent Blondel wrote:

>>>Hello All,
>>>
>>>I get next error message when I use groupadd :
>>>
>>>"groupadd: PAM authentication failed".
>>>

>>When I encountered this problem a few months ago, I resolved it by doing
>>the following
>>
>>cp /etc/pam.d/useradd /etc/pam.d/groupadd
>>
>>This seems to have taken care of the problem for me.  I think my
>>reasoning was sound on this.  In my mind, the useradd and groupadd
>>commands should have the same pam configuration.
>>
>>Scott
>>--
>>

> Thanks a lot Scott ... It works :)
>
> I also have the problem with userdel and groupdel and I also had to do
> this way so I am looking at Fedora and mandrake how they do it and I don't
> find any useradd, ...
>
> I think I will have to investigate for this because I am not sure I have
> well understood how PAM works.
>
> Vincent

For userdel I did the following (I forgot to setup groupdel, I'm
thinking that userdel and groupdel will be the same:

auth	sufficient	pam_rootok.so
auth	required	pam_unix.so

account	required	pam_unix.so

session	required	pam_unix.so

password required	pam_permit.so

I just looked at BLFS 5.1.1 docs and did not see either listed.  I'm
trying to remember exactly where I got this setup from.  I think my
reasoning was that userdel and groupdel should be basicly the same as
useradd and groupadd since they require password authentication to execute.

Scott