Reloading sshd without getting disconnected

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Dec 25 03:16:08 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 23:19 +0100, Laurens Blankers wrote:
> I saw someone on a Debian system reloading sshd over a ssh connection
> without getting disconnected.
>
> Does anyone know how the Debian people pull this off?

Are they just sending a HUP signal (kill -HUP) to the process? By
convention, daemons should respond to such a signal by reloading their
configuration file - not sure if sshd is one of them.

Note - that's not the same as reloading the sshd executable itself. I
can't think of any way of doing that without dropping the connection.

Simon.