The latest twist with the lousiest isp

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 01:20:26 PST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:44:51 +0000, Declan Moriarty
<declan.moriarty at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:04:27 -0500, Jason Gurtz <jason at tommyk.com> wrote:
> > On 18-Dec-04 09:37, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> >
> > > Then, they rejigged again. Now I can get out with windows(Mozilla),
> > > but attempts under linux fail "550 - you are not allowed to send mail
> > > to <whoever at somewhere.com>". My IP on their network is the same in
> > > both instances, so I presume they are objecting to the postfix server
> > > talking to them. They have a "no server" policy on the network
> >
> > Perhaps the best way is to run ethereal and directly compare the
> > conversations to see what the difference is.
> >
> I am actually trying to do this. I stuck in both OSes
>
> Linux. After kernel rebuilding, installing libpcap, dhclient, and
> ethereal, I find dhclient won't sing :-(( I'm getting
> DHCPDiscover.........................
> DHCPDiscover.........................
> DHCPDiscover.........................
> I'll go groping around in /etc tomorrow.

I got ethereal to look at it. It knew what it was doing, but I didn't.
It saved out a binary file, now on
http://homepage.ntlworld.ie/e-tronic.genius/dhcp.cap

with dhclient doing dhcpdiscovers, and where are yous, the info
section kept saying

Who does 82.6.181.254? Try 82.6.181.108 (82.6.181.254, btw is the local server.)
Who does 82.6.181.254? Try 82.6.181.108
But dhclient never does - it just keeps on asking. What file i is
screwed up or missing? I checked resolv.conf, host.conf. hosts and
they seem ok, although that server isn't listed.
/etc/dhclient.conf isn't there, btw. This setup works in lfs-3.3

> W98: After installing gtk-wimp and ethereal, I bluescreen with an
> "Invalid page fault in msvcrt.dll" I found something about memory
> heaps in a reference on the M$ site
>
> which basically explains how they left their memory map _just_after_
> the page they were mapping, so if you overwrote, you hit the map and
> screwed everything up mightily. This is such a good biug I'm sure it's
> universal, but they don't even give me a version of 'doze it happens
> on.
FYI only.
Further reading on w98 leads me to conclude that msvcrt.dll from an
m$-5.x C or C++ compiler is incompatible with ditto from 6.x
compilers, and ditto from 7.x compilers. I'm experimenting to get
fewest crashes.
--
     All the Best

     Declan.