problems compiling mpeg_encode-1.5b

Beatriz Botero bbhache at gmx.de
Wed Dec 22 05:26:54 PST 2004

I am trying to compile Berkeley's "mpeg_encode-1.5b" on LFS 5.1.1 but I
have problems. Make delivers
---------- quote ---------
ibpnmrw.c: In function `pm_perror':
libpnmrw.c:129: error: conflicting types for `sys_errlist'
/usr/include/bits/sys_errlist.h:28: error: previous declaration of
`sys_errlist'
libpnmrw.c: In function `pgm_writepgminit':
libpnmrw.c:567: warning: comparison is always true due to limited range
of data type
libpnmrw.c: In function `pgm_writepgmrow':
libpnmrw.c:646: warning: comparison is always true due to limited range
of data type
libpnmrw.c: In function `ppm_writeppminit':
libpnmrw.c:754: warning: comparison is always true due to limited range
of data type
libpnmrw.c: In function `ppm_writeppmrow':
libpnmrw.c:847: warning: comparison is always true due to limited range
of data type
make: *** [libpnmrw.o] Error 1
---------------unquote ----------
Searching in LFS I found a similar problem:
"Berkeley MPEG encode compilation problems
Kristoffer Ekelund e7ke at etek.chalmers.se
Wed Jun 6 02:56:50 MDT 2001"
and this was the solution to my above mentioned problem too: the
invalidation of the line Nr 129 of the libpnmrw.c file.

But now I am facing a new problem during the Make procedure:

--------------- quote --------------------
gcc -Iheaders -I/usr/include -Ijpeg -O -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes   -o
mpeg_encode mfwddct.o postdct.o huff.o bitio.o mheaders.o mpeg.o
subsample.o param.o rgbtoycc.o readframe.o combine.o jrevdct.o frame.o
fsize.o frametype.o libpnmrw.o specifics.o rate.o opts.o iframe.o
pframe.o bframe.o psearch.o bsearch.o block.o  parallel.o jpeg.o main.o
-Ljpeg jpeg/libjpeg.a -lm
libpnmrw.o(.text+0x13d): In function `pm_perror':
: `sys_errlist' is deprecated; use `strerror' or `strerror_r' instead
libpnmrw.o(.text+0x136): In function `pm_perror':
: undefined reference to `errno'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mpeg_encode] Error 1

I would appreciatede any help, I need "mpeg_encode-1.5b" in order to run
"gimp-gap".

Beatriz Botero