switch to Xorg!

David Jensen djensen at inebraska.com
Tue Dec 21 11:49:38 PST 2004

Denis wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> So I would like to switch to Xorg (which also seem sto progress faster,
> but anyway...). Now my question is: can I just remove everything regarding
> XFree86 (a hint to which files would have to be removed would be nice) and
> install Xorg or will I encounter big problems? I would like to keep
> everything else like Gnome, GDM...

Its worth a try!  Few packages install in the /usr/X11R6 tree, so...

cp -a /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6.old
Be sure to use cp -a

then follow the xorg intructions up to but not including 'make install'.
if that goes ok, exit to console and

rm -rf /usr/X11R6 &&
make install &&
make install.man &&
ldconfig

startx and if it doesn't work.
rm -rf /usr/X11R6
mv /usr/X11R6.old /usr/X11R6
ldconfig

/etc/X11/XFConfig could be renamed to xorg.conf, but is not critical at this time.

David Jensen