The latest twist with the lousiest isp

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 02:22:16 PST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:15:23 +0000, S. Anthony Sequeira
<tony at sequeira.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 10:10 +0000, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> > The attached shows a bounced message header and an extract from
> > mail.log under linux.
> > The mail server decides to bounce me. My IP has changed here, so I
> > gather it's not an IP thing. I get mail in, so it's hardly a username
> > thing either.
> >
> > They know from my IP that I'm on a subnet. I feel fairly sure they are
> > rejecting mail - all mail servers from a subnet. It conceivably could
> > be operating systems, as they only support 'doze. If I could
> > patch/configure postfix to identify as m$ outlook under windows, it
> > would run fine.
>
> Speaking as a dabbler, definitely *not* an expert, seems to me you may
> have a misconfigured main.cf.  Could we have a look at it please.

Yes, that is correct. Hopefully find it attached.

Before you all start lambasting me, let me explain. Everything was
working fine, and then suddenly I couldn't send mail and was getting
this message. No changes to main.cf had been made. Further,
smtp.ntlworld.ie (62.253.162.40/50) was now being picked up by
mailhost.ntl.com (212.250.162.x). One obvious difference was that the
box identifies as "GENIUS" in 'doze, but genius.chateau.dec in linux.
So changes to drop the domain have been made after the problem
started.

This all coincided with a deterioration in relationships with NTL,
threats to cut me off, etc, as they have dropped my phone service
without warning, and are unwilling to stand costs of that. I basically
told them to go ahead, I won't be back, but it never happened. But in
those circumstances, I wasn't taking mail too seriously.

They have hacked again at their end, and now windoze can send. Maybe I
should get inventive with the smtp_banner. Has anyone got a good line
there?

--
     All the Best

     Declan.