stupid question about etc/profile.d

Jeremy Henty jeremy at chaos.org.uk
Mon Dec 20 10:11:02 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 09:49:35AM +0100, Matthias B. wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:08:17 +0000 Jeremy Henty <jeremy at chaos.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > I thought the reason for /etc/profile.d was to make it easier to
> > manage software packages that need to change the environment.  The
> > installer adds a file to /etc/profile.d and the uninstaller removes
> > it,
>
> Yeah. That idea worked great for the Windows registry :-)

The registry is a good idea.  The Windows version only sucks because
the implementation is flaky.

When you think about it, Unix has a registry too.  It's called /etc .
The difference is that Windows developers created "Yet Another Binary
Format With Bespoke Editing Tools" to implement recursively nested
key-value pairs, whereas Unix developers said "hey, the file system
*already* does that, let's use that".  If the Unix file system was as
flaky as the Windows registry then I'd be reinstalling my OS as often
as Windows users do.

Jeremy