The latest twist with the lousiest isp

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 02:10:05 PST 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:04:27 -0500, Jason Gurtz <jason at tommyk.com> wrote:
> On 18-Dec-04 09:37, Declan Moriarty wrote:
>
> > Then, they rejigged again. Now I can get out with windows(Mozilla),
> > but attempts under linux fail "550 - you are not allowed to send mail
> > to <whoever at somewhere.com>". My IP on their network is the same in
> > both instances, so I presume they are objecting to the postfix server
> > talking to them. They have a "no server" policy on the network
>
> Perhaps the best way is to run ethereal and directly compare the
> conversations to see what the difference is.

OK, I tried for this. Ethereal-0.10.8 requires glib2, which I don't
have on my LFS-3.3
I am slowly growing a LFS-5.0/5.1/6.0, which I wouldn't recommend as a
distro. It doesn't have dhcp or e-mail yet but does have glib2.  I
haven't bothered with this because the error is so specific.

Mozilla does a sending
................................................ (windows vanish)
which is amazingly slow under any circumstances.

The attached shows a bounced message header and an extract from
mail.log under linux.
The mail server decides to bounce me. My IP has changed here, so I
gather it's not an IP thing. I get mail in, so it's hardly a username
thing either.

They know from my IP that I'm on a subnet. I feel fairly sure they are
rejecting mail - all mail servers from a subnet. It conceivably could
be operating systems, as they only support 'doze. If I could
patch/configure postfix to identify as m$ outlook under windows, it
would run fine.
--
     All the Best

     Declan.