stupid question about etc/profile.d

Jeremy Henty jeremy at chaos.org.uk
Sun Dec 19 04:08:17 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 02:02:29PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Corn Fed wrote:
> >... I'm wondering if there's more information about the philosophy
> >and logic behind this design,
>
> And using /etc/profile.d is not magic. The contents of any file in
> there is simply included in the /etc/profile file.

I thought the reason for /etc/profile.d was to make it easier to
manage software packages that need to change the environment.  The
installer adds a file to /etc/profile.d and the uninstaller removes
it, which is safer than automatically editing /etc/profile .  This is
great for running a "plug'n'play" distro, but it goes against the
principle of "I want to know exactly how my system is configured and
understand why it has to be configured that way", which is something I
really like about LFS.

Cheers,

Jeremy