Gnome Help vs. Luddites

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Dec 19 14:52:36 PST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Simon Geard wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 13:25 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > No doubt, but it hasn't been a problem so far.  For me, icons are those
> > tiny things that I occasionally add to the icewm panel (but usually,
> > only xterm is important enough to merit that), and the tiny symbols that
> > sometimes show in the menus on icewm.  Now, since I'm too lazy to add
> > packages to the menus more than once every couple of years, neither is
> > an issue.
> >
> > Icons on the desktops are just a waste of space for me, whenever I've
> > had them, I _always_ end up having to move application windows out of
> > the way to get at the icons.
>
> Icon-themes doesn't just mean icons on the desktop and taskbar - it's
> also things like toolbars and anywhere else where stock images could be
> used. We had someone a few weeks back asking why Evolution 2.0 didn't
> have the toolbar images - I believe the reason turned out to be the
> absence of gnome-icon-themes.
>
> Simon.

 Yes, but the gnome applications I care about (gnumeric, abiword, maybe
stretching to care about gcalctool) are fine without it so I regard it
as bloat _in_my_setup_  - remember I want the _minimal_ libraries and
packages consistent with the applications working.  If you want the full
gnome experience then that's a different story.

Ken