stupid question about etc/profile.d

Corn Fed w41t3r at SPAMyahoo.com
Sat Dec 18 10:51:50 PST 2004

Somehow, in the 8 years I've been using linux, I've managed to completely
miss the transition from a monolithic "profile" file in etc/ to the fancy
"etc/profile.d" scheme.  So I'm building the latest unstable blfs, and I'm
wondering if there's more information about the philosophy and logic
behind this design, and tips for extending/customizing it?  Is there some
free document floating around I can read?

I searched on google, and tldp, but I guess I'm the only one that's been
living in a cave...

thanks for any pointers
walter