Gnome Help vs. Luddites

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Dec 18 05:25:24 PST 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Simon Geard wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 10:39 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >  No, I'm not saying BLFS is incorrect, but the gnome part is clearly
> > based on providing a gnome desktop environment.  Those of us who don't
> > like adding things we're never going to use (but do want to use e.g.
> > gnumeric) my take a different view of whether e.g. gnome-icon-themes is
> > necessary.
>

> And the answer to that example is 'yes' - if you don't install
> icon-themes, applications can't find the stock icons that they expect
> them to be available.
>
> Simon.

No doubt, but it hasn't been a problem so far.  For me, icons are those
tiny things that I occasionally add to the icewm panel (but usually,
only xterm is important enough to merit that), and the tiny symbols that
sometimes show in the menus on icewm.  Now, since I'm too lazy to add
packages to the menus more than once every couple of years, neither is
an issue.

Icons on the desktops are just a waste of space for me, whenever I've
had them, I _always_ end up having to move application windows out of
the way to get at the icons.

Ken