FireFox

Andrew Benton andy at benton987.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Dec 18 04:57:34 PST 2004

Archaic wrote:
> I have installed the prebuilt binaries and they allow me to start
> multiple instances from the commandline without giving me the profile
> manager. I typed about:buildconfig in both the binary, and homebuilt
> firefoxes and came up with these differences.

The Mozilla binaries are compiled with
ac_add_options --enable-static
ac_add_options --enable-disable-shared
because they have to run on a wide range of different distros and they
need to avoid relying on shared libraries that may not be there. If you
do a static build it will be large and bloaty.
If you want a gtk1 build I would suggest you do a test build with just
this one line in your mozconfig

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig

For a gtk2 build, try these options

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=gtk2
ac_add_options --enable-xft
ac_add_options --disable-freetype2

It's easier to test different build options if you don't install the
build, so create a mozconfig, save it in the mozilla source then

cd mozilla
./configure
make
cd xpinstall/packager
make MOZ_PKG_APPNAME=firefox

that will create a self contained firefox folder in mozilla/dist/firefox
which you can copy where you want, run it, see what effect your build
options had.