FireFox

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 17 20:41:39 PST 2004

I have installed the prebuilt binaries and they allow me to start
multiple instances from the commandline without giving me the profile
manager. I typed about:buildconfig in both the binary, and homebuilt
firefoxes and came up with these differences. I haven't yet sifted
through the data yet, so I imagine much of this in inconsequential. I'm
just presenting what I have:

Binary

gcc flag differences:
-pedantic

g++ flag differences:
-fno-rtti
-pedantic

configure switches that differ from the book

'--enable-optimize=-Os -freorder-blocks -fno-reorder-functions -gstabs+'
--enable-official-branding
--enable-static
--disable-shared

And here are the configure switches that the book uses that the binaries
do not use:

--prefix=/usr
--with-user-appdir=.firefox
--with-system-zlib
--with-system-jpeg
--with-system-png
--without-system-nspr
--enable-reorder
--enable-strip
--enable-cpp-rtti
--enable-nspr-autoconf
--enable-elf-dynstr-gc
--disable-installer
--disable-logging
--disable-pedantic

Nothing seems overly apparent here. And unfortunately I do not have time
to further investigate this now. :(

--
Archaic

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he
cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable
creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the
exertions of better men than himself.

- John Stuart Mill, writing on the U.S. Civil War in 1862