Gnome Help vs. Luddites

Peter B. Steiger WYpbs_003 at bornagain.com
Fri Dec 17 20:37:40 PST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:52:16 -0600, Randy McMurchy sez:
> As far as the help for gnome-specific apps (such as the games), you did
> install Yelp (the GNOME help browser), right?

I refuse to answer that on the grounds that anything I say will make me
look like a complete moron.

See, I carefully went through all the core packages exactly as written,
but I figured everything in the "additional packages" section was
optional.  Since I had limited time (see previous rant about dialup
speeds) and the name "yelp" meant nothing to me, I didn't even bother
reading the description for it.  At the time, all I cared about was making
sure my key apps - Evolution, Firefox, Gimp, and Xine - all worked.  What
the gnome folks need to do is give their packages meaningful names like
"if-you-dont-install-this-the-help-system-will-not-work-2.80.16.tar.gz2"

Note to self: A complete reinstall of the gnome system isn't something you
can do at work between phone calls while skimming through the topic
outlines of the blfs book.

--
peter b. steiger
cheyenne, WY