Gnome Help vs. Luddites

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Dec 17 02:39:06 PST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
> > build kde but rarely use it (but, QT _is_ a good test of the POSIX2
> > define in _chapter_5_ of LFS).  My problems with gnome are the
> > multiplicity of packages and uncertainties about the correct build order
>
> In your opinion is the BLFS build order of GNOME incorrect? Or are
> you saying the build order in general is difficult to determine, even
> for say ....Garnome?

 No, I'm not saying BLFS is incorrect, but the gnome part is clearly
based on providing a gnome desktop environment.  Those of us who don't
like adding things we're never going to use (but do want to use e.g.
gnumeric) my take a different view of whether e.g. gnome-icon-themes is
necessary.

 And yes, short of adding garnome's dependencies so I can *start* to run
garnome, that is a mistery to me.  I certainly wasn't unable to work
out, from its Makefiles, exactly which parts are really necesary for
gnumeric.

Ken