Gnome Help vs. Luddites

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 16 16:06:08 PST 2004

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>>As far as the help for gnome-specific apps (such as the games), you did
>>install Yelp (the GNOME help browser), right?
>>
>>Other than that, I don't have a clue what could be wrong. The GNOME
>>desktop is growing on me. I have always preferred KDE. Now I sit on the
>>fence. There's good and not-so-good with both.
>>

>  Apart from yelp, shared-mime-info is (as of gnome-2.6) critical for
> getting the help working.  Upgrading in place is also a possible recipe
> for disaster.  Beyond that, if my memory is correct, intltool and
> scrollkeeper have been needed since at least gnome-2.4 to get working
> help.

These 3 packages are required by the GNOME core packages section
(intltool and shared-mime-info are required dependencies of
GNOME-VFS), so we must assume they are installed.

>  FWIW, I'm totally agnostic about desktop environments which is why I
> build kde but rarely use it (but, QT _is_ a good test of the POSIX2
> define in _chapter_5_ of LFS).  My problems with gnome are the
> multiplicity of packages and uncertainties about the correct build order

In your opinion is the BLFS build order of GNOME incorrect? Or are
you saying the build order in general is difficult to determine, even
for say ....Garnome?

I found that so many packages have dependencies, that themselves have
dependencies, and so forth and so on, that simply ensuring that the
dependencies are met, causes the build order to be determined by itself.

--
Randy