Gnome Help vs. Luddites

Andrew Benton andy at benton987.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Dec 16 14:05:55 PST 2004

Peter B. Steiger wrote:
> Supposing I decide to abandon my Luddite ways and clutter up my system to
> get the help files working... what do I need to do?  I went through the
> whole process step-by-step just as the book describes (except I use
> prefix=/usr/gnome2 so I can easily move the whole tree out of the way when
> I upgrade) so I'm pretty sure I didn't fail to RTFA... what else did I
> miss?
I don't know, but my experience has been that the Gnome stuff can very
be very sensitive to all the options you pass to the configure script
--sysconfdir= --libexecdir= and so on. Gnome help uses scrollkeeper to
keep track of where the help files are. That's why you need to pass the
same --localstate=/var/lib command to all the ./configures. But then if
you do that you're going to get stuff from Gnome 2.2 mixed in with stuff
from Gnome 2.8 in /var/lib/scrollkeeper. Perhaps it would help if you
reinstalled the scrollkeeper and added /usr/gnome2/var to the
scrollkeepers --with-omfdirs= path?
I hope I haven't confused you even more. Yelp does work by the way. I
don't use it much, but when I do I like it to work. Good luck.