Gnome Help vs. Luddites

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 16 13:52:16 PST 2004

Peter B. Steiger wrote:
> In a completely unrelated thread about Firefox, Ken said:
>
>>multiple instances of it, e.g. for browsing 'help').  For luddites like
>>me who don't like cluttering their system to get gnome help working,
>

> Funny you should mention that.  I spent last weekend upgrading my Gnome
> 2.2 libraries to 2.8 following the LFS cvs book.  Before I threw it all
> away and reverted back to the working 2.2 system, I discovered that none
> of the gnome-specific programs (such as the games) would bring up help
> screens.  They don't work with 2.2 either; that's one of the reasons I
> wanted to upgrade.
>
> Supposing I decide to abandon my Luddite ways and clutter up my system to
> get the help files working... what do I need to do?  I went through the
> whole process step-by-step just as the book describes (except I use
> prefix=/usr/gnome2 so I can easily move the whole tree out of the way when
> I upgrade) so I'm pretty sure I didn't fail to RTFA... what else did I
> miss?
>
> I had to go back to 2.2 because Evolution 2.something crashed like a
> Microsoft program when I installed it along with the gnome 2.8 upgrade,
> but that's a problem for another discussion thread.

Hmmmm.....

I recently installed GNOME-2.8 in /opt/gnome-2.8 (same as you being in
/usr/gnome2, just a different path), and I don't experience any of the
problems you describe.

As far as the help for gnome-specific apps (such as the games), you did
install Yelp (the GNOME help browser), right?

Other than that, I don't have a clue what could be wrong. The GNOME
desktop is growing on me. I have always preferred KDE. Now I sit on the
fence. There's good and not-so-good with both.

My GNOME-2.8 desktop is very stable, I can't really put my finger on
a single problem or issue. I like it.

--
Randy