Upgrading to GNOME 2.8

Peter B. Steiger WYpbs_003 at bornagain.com
Thu Dec 16 13:42:52 PST 2004

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 00:45:35 +0000, Ken Moffat sez:
>  Sorry, I don't know the answer.  Assuming you dropped back to a
> non-graphical login, perhaps you could tar up the whole of /usr and /etc
> before you try ?

That's why I like to install everything in the GTK/gnome system in
/usr/gnome2.  When I went through the 2.8 upgrade process this past
weekend, I just mv'ed /usr/gnome2 to a temporary folder as a backup in
case it didn't work (it didn't).  rm -rf to get rid of the mess, mv
/usr/gnome2.bak /usr/gnome2, and six seconds later I'm back in business.

--
peter b. steiger
cheyenne, WY