redhat initscript and ps output format

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Thu Dec 16 09:21:34 PST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:28:13 -0600 "Duane Cox" <duanec at mail.illicom.net>
wrote:

> I have looked over the redhat /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions but couldn't
> locate anything.

The functions script has nothing to do with ps output.

> I also installed installed a new procps-3.2.4 on the redhat box and is
> still displays the above formatting.

procps also has nothing (well, little) to do with how daemons show up in
the list.

> Anybody have a clue?

Redhat probably patches the daemons to overwrite their invokation line
with the bracket stuff. Compile the attached file with

gcc -o bracketd bracketd.c

and start it with

./bracketd

You'll see that it shows up as "[fancy]" in the ps output.

MSB

--
Digitize if possible - Eradicate if necessary!