redhat initscript and ps output format

Duane Cox duanec at mail.illicom.net
Thu Dec 16 08:45:14 PST 2004

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:28:13 -0600, Duane Cox <duanec at mail.illicom.net>
wrote:
> > In redhat 9.0 and some previous releases, and possibly fedora,
> > the 'ps' output formats the daemons started by init by wrapping them in
> > brackets
> > and only displaying the process, it hides all the arguments passed to
the
> > daemon.
> [snip]
> >
> > I am trying to duplicate this with my LFS install, but can't seem to
figure
> > out how
> > the folks at redhat got this to work.
> >
> > I have looked over the redhat /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions but couldn't
locate
> > anything.
> > I also installed installed a new procps-3.2.4 on the redhat box and is
still
> > displays the above formatting.
> >
> > Anybody have a clue?
>
> Redhat are known to patch and hack things themselves without
> documenting in or submitting patches to the maintainers. It's not
> kosher, but it works in Redhat.

Right, all the better reason to switch to LFS.
I was expecting to discover a hacked/patched procps-2.0.11 (the default with
9.0) but with I installed
procps-3.2.4 over the existing 2.0.11, the formating didn't change.  So I
don't think the ps command
was patched (maybe something else?)

I copied over the redhat functions script, modified slightly to work with my
LFS system, and still can't
get the ps output formating as seen in redhat.

Any other ideas?