KPDF is dropping `fi`'s ? Kinda sorted.

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Sun Dec 12 12:58:12 PST 2004

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 09:29, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 20:00:08 +0000, John Gay <johngay at eircom.net> wrote:
> > > For ps/pdf files, there are a standard 15 (level 1) and an extra
> > > 15(level 2) postscript fonts.
> > > Does gs display your docs correctly? (type gs <path/filename> in an
> > > xterm).
> >
> > Yes, it does. But I imagine that's why xpdf also shows it correctly.
> >
> > > If so, junk kpdf fonts in favour of the gs ones, & link to
> > > them instead.
> >
> > And here I thought kpdf was using gs through xpdf and therefore would use
> > it's fonts as well. That's what I get for thinking (-;
> >
> > I'll just have to figure out how to do that now. Thanx for the info.
>
> Don't take me as the last word on anything beginning with 'g' or 'k'
> as I haven't had gnome or kde for some time now. The fact is there are
> about 4 separate classes of fonts (besides unicode) on my system  and
> most things have their own font engine. As for who uses which font,
> you are definitely on your own.

Well, after reading the Grumpy Editors review of pdf viewers on LWN, I now
know that gs and xpdf are two different engines doing the same job.

I also now know that KPDF is a frontend for xpdf and KGhostscript is a
frontend for gs. As gs displays the files correctly, KGhostscript also
displays them correctly, which is good enough for me.

The strange thing is, why KPDF doesn't display them right when xpdf does?

But it's enough for me to have an app that does the job right. So I'll just
use KGhostscript instead of KPDF.

Cheers,

	John Gay