FireFox

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Dec 10 08:24:43 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Andrew Benton wrote:

> Norman Urs Baier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've installed firefox and I continue to have this problem that I get the
> > profile editor when starting firefox a second time, instead of a second
> > browser window.
> > I have tried with different configure options, but without success, shouldn't
> > --disable-profilelocking do the trick?
> No, that option doesn't do anything. the problem is in the firefox shell
> script used to start Firefox and was fixed months ago, you must have an
> old version of Firefox. Try updating your copy of Firefox.

 I can confirm that 1.0 works correctly here (now working happily with
multiple instances of it, e.g. for browsing 'help').  For luddites like
me who don't like cluttering their system to get gnome help working,
there is a small change needed if you symlink /usr/bin/mozilla (e.g. for
abiword) and /usr/bin/epiphany (e.g. for gnumeric's help->home page),
you now need to symlink /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/{mozilla,epiphany}-bin to
firefox-bin.

 (check: the operand order in the description is the reverse of how you
type them!)

HTH

Ken