applications forking / not threading

zareh at dslextreme.com zareh at dslextreme.com
Thu Dec 9 14:51:24 PST 2004

Well, in _my_ situation, when I send a kill signal to the main mimedefang
process on my LFS system, it does not die. But when I send a kill signal
to its last child PID, after I've sent a kill signal to the main
mimedefang process, it shuts down properly.

So it seems that the main mimedefang process does not sends a signal down
to its child processes to shut down, the problem with this is that if I
need to restart mimedefang, I end up with more and more processes, taking
up more memory, eventually eating up all the memory on this system.

Aaron BRICE