applications forking / not threading

zareh at dslextreme.com zareh at dslextreme.com
Thu Dec 9 13:38:25 PST 2004

For example, when I compile monit on my LFS system, I see that its running
multiple processes, each one monitoring one of the pids I've told it to
monitor. When I compile it on my Fedora Core 1 system, I see it running as
1 process with multiple threads. I'd like to know why this is.

The main reason why I'd like to find this out has to do with mimedefang.
On my LFS system the main process forks 2 child processes, but the main
mimedefang process will not die unless I kill the last child process, this
causes a problem in that I will not know what the pid for the last child
will be.

mimedefang compiled inside Fedora Core 1 launches 1 process with multiple
threads and I can simply kill the main mimedefang process witout a
problem.

I'd like to know why I cannot compile these 2 applications to use threads.

Matthias B.