KPDF is dropping `fi`'s ?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Tue Dec 7 12:00:08 PST 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 09:50, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:29:40 +0000, John Gay <johngay at eircom.net> wrote:
> > I must admit I don't understand fonts too well, so I'll have a read up on
> > fonts in BLFS and other references I can find.
> >
> > Tips and pointers welcome (-;
>
> OK. Everything that uses it's own fonts installs them somewhere weird.
> One trick is to make them all available to each program. So you may
> need to doctor each program individually. The big one for me is
> ghostscript, and I have an extensive $GS_FONTPATH which gives me OO
> fonts (Including my m$ windoze fonts) and fonts from every wp & print
> thing (a2ps, acroread, abiword, OO, groff, X)

That's what I was afraid of.

> Avoid unicode still unless you are a real masochist. It's like IPV6 -
> something that will be a great idea if they ever get it usable, or
> else give up and write it again.

Well, since my first Linux systems were Debian and my second were LFS, my
masochism is confirmed (-; However, I'm also basically lazy, so . . .

> For ps/pdf files, there are a standard 15 (level 1) and an extra
> 15(level 2) postscript fonts.
> Does gs display your docs correctly? (type gs <path/filename> in an
> xterm).
Yes, it does. But I imagine that's why xpdf also shows it correctly.

> If so, junk kpdf fonts in favour of the gs ones, & link to
> them instead.
And here I thought kpdf was using gs through xpdf and therefore would use it's
fonts as well. That's what I get for thinking (-;

I'll just have to figure out how to do that now. Thanx for the info.

Cheers,

	John Gay