Freetype, Pango, or something error.

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Dec 7 10:47:52 PST 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Declan Moriarty wrote:

> Not a good day here folks. I reckon I'm one patch short somewhere.
>
> I tried to add a little to my LFS-5.0/5.1/6.0 which is gradually
> bloating out on the HD here.
> Abiword wanted gtk; gtk wanted Pango, & mebbe Glib; Pango wasn't happy
> with freetype.
>
> The pango build crapped out looking for ftmodule.h to be included. It
> WAS included, but there was an extra config/ in the path
> /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftmodule.h :-O.
> So I hacked into the complaining  C file, changed that path and then
> it slowly crapped over syntax, as attached. It's over my head this
> time.
>
> I think I have fallen into some hole - I'm a patch short, an out of
> date book, wrong package versions, or something. I'm using:
> Pango-1.2.3; gtk+-2.4.12; freetype-2.1.9; 2.4x kernel; gcc-3.3.1;
> glibc-2.3.2; Xorg-6.8.1; freetype-2.1.9; glib-2.0.1. They just
> happened to be what I had lying here.
>
> Any ideas??

At a guess, mismatched versions.  I've just done a 5.1-ish build
(gcc-3.3.5, glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1, 2.4.27 kernel)  using the following
(along with a lot of other stuff):

abiword-2.0.12,
aspell-0.50.4.1 with aspell-en-0.51-1,
atk-1.6.1
fontconfig-2.2.2,
freetype-2.1.7
fribidi-0.10.4,
glib-2.4.7,
gtk+-2.4.9,
pango-1.4.0,
X-6.7.0.

Some of your packages are newer than mine, some are older.  From memory,
it is necessary to keep gtk+, glib, atk, and pango reasonably in sync.
Your gtk+ looks nice and new, your pango looks a bit old, and your glib
sounds very old.  Try upgrading glib and pango (and atk) to current
versions.  I vaguely remember I had to upgrade pango or atk to work with
X-6.7.0 because some of the header locations changed.

(For unspecified gnome packages, I was using recent 2.6-series as listed
in the 2.6 stable garnome package - one day I'll manage to work out the
order that builds everything.)

Ken