KPDF is dropping `fi`'s ?

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 01:50:25 PST 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:29:40 +0000, John Gay <johngay at eircom.net> wrote:

> I must admit I don't understand fonts too well, so I'll have a read up on
> fonts in BLFS and other references I can find.
>
> Tips and pointers welcome (-;

OK. Everything that uses it's own fonts installs them somewhere weird.
One trick is to make them all available to each program. So you may
need to doctor each program individually. The big one for me is
ghostscript, and I have an extensive $GS_FONTPATH which gives me OO
fonts (Including my m$ windoze fonts) and fonts from every wp & print
thing (a2ps, acroread, abiword, OO, groff, X)

Avoid unicode still unless you are a real masochist. It's like IPV6 -
something that will be a great idea if they ever get it usable, or
else give up and write it again.

For ps/pdf files, there are a standard 15 (level 1) and an extra
15(level 2) postscript fonts.
Does gs display your docs correctly? (type gs <path/filename> in an
xterm). If so, junk kpdf fonts in favour of the gs ones, & link to
them instead.

--
     All the Best

     Declan.