KPDF is dropping `fi`'s ?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Mon Dec 6 07:29:40 PST 2004

On Monday 06 December 2004 07:44, Jeremy Henty wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 08:50:27PM +0000, John Gay wrote:
> > I know that sounds strange but, KPDF is dropping `fi` from any
> > documents it displays.  ... I suspect KPDF rather than two different
> > documents having the same spelling errors.
>
> It might actually be the documents.  Some fonts have special "fi" (and
> "fl", "ffi", "ffl") ligature characters to replace ugly character
> sequences (eg. the "fi" ligature typically joins the crossbar of the
> "f" with the top of the "i" and omits the dot of the "i").  Perhaps
> the typesetter that created the document uses ligature characters that
> are not in your fonts.  I have seen web pages with the same symptoms.

I thought of that, so I had a deeper look. Running kpdf from the command line
shows:

john at john:~$ kpdf UserManual.pdf
Error: Unknown config file command 'enableT1lib' (/etc/xpdfrc:99)
Error: Unknown config file command 'enableFreeType' (/etc/xpdfrc:100)
Error: Unknown config file command 'antialias' (/etc/xpdfrc:101)
Unknown character (CID=13 Unicode=0)

CHARACTER NOT IN FONT: fb01
CHARACTER NOT IN FONT: fb00
CHARACTER NOT IN FONT: fb02
CHARACTER NOT IN FONT: fb01
CHARACTER NOT IN FONT: fb01
CHARACTER NOT IN FONT: fb01
CHARACTER NOT IN FONT: fb01
CHARACTER NOT IN FONT: fb01
john at john:~$

These not in font errors seem to corolate with missing 'ff' 'fi' etc . . .,
however, xpdf displays it fine, I.E. no missing char's. So maybe xpdf has
access to better fonts that KPDF? I thought that the instructions in BLFS
made all fonts available everywhere?

I must admit I don't understand fonts too well, so I'll have a read up on
fonts in BLFS and other references I can find.

Tips and pointers welcome (-;

Cheers,

	John Gay