KPDF is dropping `fi`'s ?

Jeremy Henty jeremy at chaos.org.uk
Sun Dec 5 23:44:49 PST 2004

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 08:50:27PM +0000, John Gay wrote:

> I know that sounds strange but, KPDF is dropping `fi` from any
> documents it displays.  ... I suspect KPDF rather than two different
> documents having the same spelling errors.

It might actually be the documents.  Some fonts have special "fi" (and
"fl", "ffi", "ffl") ligature characters to replace ugly character
sequences (eg. the "fi" ligature typically joins the crossbar of the
"f" with the top of the "i" and omits the dot of the "i").  Perhaps
the typesetter that created the document uses ligature characters that
are not in your fonts.  I have seen web pages with the same symptoms.

Cheers,

Jeremy Henty