problems with gnome 2.8, nautilus, eog

Olaf Gruettner olaf.gruettner at web.de
Sun Dec 5 09:29:52 PST 2004

Am Son, 2004-12-05 um 00.44 schrieb Simon Geard:
> On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 21:27 +0100, Olaf Gruettner wrote:
> > I installed gnome 2.8. Now I have the problem, that jpeg files are not
> > shown by nautilus. Clicking on them says "no appropriate application
> > installed" or something like that.
> >
> > I searched the mail archives for nautilus, eog and gnome.
> > I have eog installed (2.8)
> > I have XDG_DATA_DIRS set to /usr/share + exported the Variable
> > I have gnome installed to /usr
> > Dragging and dropping jpeg files onto eog is not displaying anything.
> > I have reinstalled nautilus, eog, shared mime data with no success.
>
> Try go to a terminal, and run gnome-open with some JPEG file as a
> parameter... what does it tell you?

bash-3.00# eog Desktop/flight.jpg

(eog:1216): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib

(eog:1216): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers

When doing the same for a png - file, the output is the same.
I don´t think this error message is very useful ...?

At the moment I think something has gone wrong installing jpegsrc
libraries, but I installed them again with no error messages but no
success in displaying jpeg files in nautilus or eog.

is there a way to check if something is wrong with the libraries?

Olaf