LDAP or SQL?

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Dec 4 16:02:35 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 12:34:53AM -0600, DJ Lucas wrote:

> Okay...I missed something I think...Do you want centralized auth for the
> local machines or not?

On the windows boxes, yes. I haven't decided about the unix boxes. I'm
guessing /etc/passwd for them might be easier because certain
non-sysadmins will have access to only certain boxes through SSH. In
fact, no one but 2 sysadmins will have shell on all the boxes. It seems
like it may be overkill to have ssh pass auth to PAM which talks to the
LDAP server to decide if someone can ssh to a box. But then again, it
would further centralize the database, so I may do that in the end.

What I definately *do* want LDAP for, is all of the MS systems will be
accessible by almost everyone, but I do not want to have to maintain
local profiles on each computer and I do not want to go with active
directory since that seems to be overly proprietary. I want *one*
database. No one has even mentioned SQL. Is this an indication that SQL
is not commonly used to perform these tasks?

--
Archaic

Love your country, but never trust its government.

- Robert A. Heinlein.