LDAP or SQL?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Dec 4 02:40:52 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 14:49 -0500, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> On 12/2/2004 14:30, Archaic wrote:
>
> > It helped in giving me a rather bleak outlook on my situation. ;)
>
> Hehe, I've wanted to--for just about forever--have a central DB of
> usernames/passwords at work across NT domain and the *nix mail system.  I
> think it may be possible if we move to active directory since that uses
> LDAP but NT is just ntlm only AFAIK.

Well, AD uses LDAP, though I suspect it's not quite a standard
implementation. In my experience, it's a real pain to work with -
Evolution manages to talk to our Exchange server some of the time to get
the global address book (but more often than not gets authentication
errors). And I've never had any luck whatsoever at getting any other
ldap browser to work with it.

Simon.