problems with gnome 2.8, nautilus, eog

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 3 12:26:02 PST 2004

Olaf Gruettner wrote:
> I installed gnome 2.8. Now I have the problem, that jpeg files are not
> shown by nautilus. Clicking on them says "no appropriate application
> installed" or something like that.
>
> I searched the mail archives for nautilus, eog and gnome.
> I have eog installed (2.8)
> I have XDG_DATA_DIRS set to /usr/share + exported the Variable
> I have gnome installed to /usr
> Dragging and dropping jpeg files onto eog is not displaying anything.
> I have reinstalled nautilus, eog, shared mime data with no success.
>
> What could be the problem ? Hints ? FAQ ?

I'm not sure where to point you on this one. It all works for me on
my GNOME-2.8 installation. Nautilus shows the .jpg/.jpeg file with
an icon of the picture displayed correctly. Double-clicking opens
up eog with the picture displayed, and dragging the file into eog
from Nautilus opens up the picture correctly.

--
Randy