automount[xxxx]: failed to mount /media/.directory

Brian Pellham brian at kalama.com
Fri Dec 3 03:50:12 PST 2004

Brian Pellham wrote:
> Declan Moriarty wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 01:16:33 -0800, Brian Pellham <brian at kalama.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This annoying message keeps popping up in my logs. Any ideas how to stop
>>> it? I have been googling for hours now... My system is bleeding edge
>>> svn, and I have setup autofs per spec. It is set to the default of
>>> automounting cd's, which it does quite well. I know how to filter it
>>> from my logs, but I would like to know why it does this and if there is
>>> a better fix.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>

>> If you're on the bleeding edge, why come & complain when it bleeds? :-)
>>
> Thanks for your input. Your wit is banal.

Well I figured out part of the problem... It is KDE's fault. It tries to
generate a ".directory" file when ever I access my system root through
Konqueror. I now need a work-around or a way to disable that behavior.
Is it possible that Konqueror generates .directory files and quickly
deletes them in order to cache the file structure? I have not installed
FAM due to the problems I had with it last time, namely crashes and
loops. Is this ".directory" a side effect skipping FAM as an optional
component? I will do more research...