Free Maple

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Dec 2 15:11:36 PST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:

> Sorry about that. I have a LFS 5.0 (or is it 4.1 ?
>
> nico:~$ cat /etc/lfs
> 4.1
>
> It's a 4.1 :-) with libc 2.3.1. The trouble is I think the old maple
> program I want to install is for libc5. I saw messages about this on the
> net. So I wonder where and how I could install the libc5 to support this
> old program.
>
> One thing I don't understand :
>
> nico:~/travail/Maple$ ldd mapleV
>         not a dynamic executable
>
> So this is not a dynamic executable, and it should not need a libc5 ?! But
> :
>
> nico:~/travail/Maple$ maple
> ./maple: /home/nico/travail/Maple/mapleV: cannot execute binary file

 I've little idea what mapleV was (some sort of commercial maths
language, by the look of what I found).  A quick google found me
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-misc@senator.bedfellow.mit.edu/msg06035.html
which suggests you need libc4 (that could be a typo) and its associated
ld.so.1.  Other hits talked about ZMAGIC binaries.  But it was
obviously an old and obscure product back in the days of RH-6.0.  I
thought maybe you would need a.out support in your kernel, but see my
last paragraph.

 I found a reference to maple6 saying it shipped with its own C
libraries and didn't work with glibc-2.2, so you might do better looking
for a complete installation of it and putting that outside the normal
directories.

 Looks like software archaeology will probably be involved.  Maybe look
for guides on how to upgrade to libc6 (from libc5) and see if they hint
how to reverse the process.

 Actually, I took a look at maplesoft.  They've got a download to fix a
16-colour problem for maple-5.1.  That claimed to be a tarball, but
contained exactly one file.  Using readelf -l showed it was looking for
/lib/ld.so.1.  All very quaint.  The status page shows that mapleV on
linux (x86 only) needs kernel 2.0.18+ and ELF.  And you'll need to keep
the license manager happy.

Ken