LDAP or SQL?

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.org.uk
Thu Dec 2 11:20:21 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 11:04 -0700, Archaic wrote:
> I've been putting it off for too long, but it has finally become
> necessary to centralize user information.
>
> I'm looking into LDAP and SQL but would like to solicit opinions by
> people who actually use them for centralized account information and
> authentication.
>
> I'm most interested in the pros and cons of the technologies and what
> kind of user-friendly interfaces might exist for administration by both
> admins and, to a lesser degree, users to change their personal info
> and passwords.
>
> Is anyone here running such a setup?

I decided to centralise my addressbook (for a start) using LDAP.  I'm a
total beginner where LDAP is concerned.

My experience:

1) It's not intuitive (to me anyway, I have a RDBMS background)
2) I got it working with Evolution, but am still failing to get
Thunderbird or Squirrelmail to use it, think I have narrowed it down in
TB, haven't looked at SQM in detail yet
3) You're in for a lot of reading
4) My experience is that internet support (google,mailing lists) for
interoperability between LDAP and other software packages is lacking
when you have an uncommon problem
5) Administrative tools are either primitive, assume more knowledge than
the average computer user has, or not Open Source (I haven't tried them
all, there is a KDE package I haven't installed yet)

OTOH, got it working with Evolution with a minimum of fuss.

HTH.
--
paranoia, n.:
A healthy understanding of the way the universe works.