Free Maple

Nicolas FRANCOIS nicolas.francois at free.fr
Thu Dec 2 11:05:54 PST 2004

Le Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:44:13 +0000 Declan Moriarty
<declan.moriarty at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:33:29 +0100, Nicolas FRANCOIS
> <nicolas.francois at free.fr> wrote:
> > There exists an old version of Maple V.1 for Linux. The problem is :
> > it uses the old libc5, if I'm not mistaken.
> >
> > I thought this was somewhere in the hints or the BLFS book, but I
> > can't find how to install those old libs without crashing my systeme.
> >
> > Can you help ?
>
> No, you haven't given us enough there to go on.

Sorry about that. I have a LFS 5.0 (or is it 4.1 ?

nico:~$ cat /etc/lfs
4.1

It's a 4.1 :-) with libc 2.3.1. The trouble is I think the old maple
program I want to install is for libc5. I saw messages about this on the
net. So I wonder where and how I could install the libc5 to support this
old program.

One thing I don't understand :

nico:~/travail/Maple$ ldd mapleV
        not a dynamic executable

So this is not a dynamic executable, and it should not need a libc5 ?! But
:

nico:~/travail/Maple$ maple
./maple: /home/nico/travail/Maple/mapleV: cannot execute binary file

> The best way to handle that if it can be done is to link Maple against
> the newer libraries.
> That, afaik, is a software job for a software guy.
>
> I would also drop back to gcc-2.95 if you have it, and secretly, while
> nobody was looking, I would try
>
> cd /lib
> ln -s libc.so.5 libc.so.6 && ldconfig
> Because it's probably worth one more crash at this stage to see how far
> you get

Didn't work. I think it's not THAT simple ;-)

Thanks anyway.

\bye

--

Nicolas FRANCOIS