Free Maple

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 01:44:13 PST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:33:29 +0100, Nicolas FRANCOIS
<nicolas.francois at free.fr> wrote:
> There exists an old version of Maple V.1 for Linux. The problem is : it
> uses the old libc5, if I'm not mistaken.
>
> I thought this was somewhere in the hints or the BLFS book, but I can't
> find how to install those old libs without crashing my systeme.
>
> Can you help ?

No, you haven't given us enough there to go on.

Are you installing some package or just want the libs? If you are
throwing in someone else's lib, what might be happening is that
information compiled into the library is crashing you.

The best way to handle that if it can be done is to link Maple against
the newer libraries.
That, afaik, is a software job for a software guy.

I would also drop back to gcc-2.95 if you have it, and secretly, while
nobody was looking, I would try

cd /lib
ln -s libc.so.5 libc.so.6 && ldconfig
Because it's probably worth one more crash at this stage to see how far you get

--
     All the Best

     Declan.