About ESP Ghostscript and GTK+-1.2.10

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 1 08:29:35 PST 2004

dienadel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build my BLFS without GTK. In the chapter related to install
> ESP Ghostscript, is said that "Some packages (ImageMagick is one) need the
> Ghostscript headers in place to link to the shared library". But, to
> install the shared library libgs.so I will need GTK+-1.2.10.
>
> In the chapter 10, related to install imagemagick (i need it) there is no
> dependencies, nor recommended, nor optional, to GTK+-1.2.

There is no relationship between the two. ESP Ghostscript needs
GTK+ to install the shared library. ImageMagick needs the interface
headers from ESP Ghostscript to utilize the libgs.so library.

You don't *have* to link ImageMagick to the shared library. It is
only one (of about a zillion) different modules ImageMagick can build.

If you don't want any GTK+, don't build the ImageMagick gs module is
the easiest method.

> I've think to do this:
> Install GTK in /opt/GTK+-1.2.10. Add /opt/GTK+-1.2.10/lib to ld.so.conf and
> build - install ESP Ghostscript with the shared libraries. When the shared
> library will be build and installed, remove the previous line in the
> ld.so.conf, and re-type ldconfig. This way is not perfect, because i'll
> have GTK, but the only package that will know it, will be libgs.so.
>
> But, before installing GTK, is required that i build GLib-1.2.10, that i
> don't want :-) here, i'd make in the same way explained before.
>
> What i want, is a system that doesn't know of the existance of, nor GTK, nor
> Glib-1.2. Only a few packages that can't live without them.
>
> What do you think?

Hey, if it works for you, then drive on. What exactly is your question,
though?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

--
Randy